Thursday, February 16, 2006

Brrreeeporting on the search engines

Brrreeeport score 16 February, 19:42 South Australian time: Technorati – 445, Google – 302 (hmmm I must have done something wrong with the latter as it's not matching the most recent ones).

Brrreeeport: Technorati kicks Google's butt What the hell is a brrreeeport? Ask Robert Scoble – he invented it...

...and found that the search engines we know and trust appear to be lying – yes lying.

Well, okay, here's my definition of brrreeeport: A brrreeeport is first of all a concept coined 14 February to show how Technorati kicks Google's butt, secondly a word to evoke all those fears we have about search engines skewing, filtering and simply missing search results without telling us. (And, sorry, the picture is just what came into my mind when I first saw the word on Technorati's front page – brrr... doesn't it just freeze the blood – but that image is actually of some freak cold snap that happened somewhere – in Switzerland I think – sometime last year).

Brrreeeport tshirtAccording to Lipstick on a chicken's blog:
The Scobleizer is playing with blog search engines at the moment. Any of his regular readers will know that it's a favorite sport of his, but right now he's twisting their nipples a little harder than usual. Via a made-up word (brrreeeport) he's seeing how fast links propogate through different search engines...
How fun, I thought, and just had to try it myself.

Update: Check out Karl Long's post with regard to the brrreeeport phenomenon.

Categorised as:
Technorati Tags: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dima said...

Cute.. a while ago i read about a competition they held in Israel, which was about bringing a meaningless word to the top result in google.

But actually in this case there is a good thing to tell about google. The first result today is the search-page of Technorati :)

February 22, 2006 9:57 pm  
Blogger rj said...

in reply to your comment, that'd be no... =]

and thanks!

i'll make you proud!

^___^

March 01, 2006 3:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for visiting the feedscott blog and for leaving a comment. I really like your blog to. I have been here before through blog explosion. In response to your comment keywords are key to search engine traffic be it technorati, google, ice rocket or any other search engine. You have great content on Desert Pea and you can optimize your traffic by inserting relevant key words or tags related to your content. This is part of SEO or Search Engine Optimization. Thanks again, and stop by anytime I have 4 blogs total. I value your comments!

Scott

March 06, 2006 5:02 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Scott, I understand the use of tags and already use them. But I don't see the point of including tags unrelated to the post I'm making, which is presumably how I ended up landing at your post.

March 06, 2006 5:15 pm  
Blogger geoff said...

Lisa, new word for me ("Brrr...") And it sounds like it's become a minefield in cyberland. Right now I'm tearing my hair out with the likes of "our" winter gold-medallist Begg-Smith and his spyware (and others like him).

SMH starts their article on him:
"Has there ever been a more unloved, more unlauded, more unpopular Australian Olympic champion than Dale Begg-Smith?"

Old story - dollars vs ethics, thankgoodness for the ethical paupers who write spy-removal software (for gratis!!) They get my gold-medal! Geoff

March 07, 2006 4:42 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yes I read that story when he won gold.

To me it doesn't seem so much like dollars-vs-ethics with Begg-Smith. There are just dollars. How could you honestly live with yourself and make all those nasty/annoying things? That's the unglorious side of geekdom for sure! He simply mustn't have any ethics where cyberland is concerned.

March 10, 2006 6:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home